Friday, September 11, 2020

The Process of Learning

 

This week, we inquired into the question Claire posted onto our Wonder Wall: 
What is learning?

With this question in mind, we used a visible thinking routine called "chalk talk" to share our thinking when we saw the words asking, thinking, and doing.

We suggested that we use the following sentence starters in our writing to help us develop our ideas through written communication:
  • I notice...
  • I think...
  • In my opinion...
  • Adding onto what ____ said...
  • I agree/disagree because...
  • for example...
Some additional sentence starters introduced by Miss d'Amours were:
  • So what you are saying is that... (paraphrasing)
  • What do you mean by...? (asking for clarification)
  • I share your point of view (agreeing)



We came to the conclusion that this visual is a representation of the process of learning! The blue sticky notes represent our thinking during chalk talk and the pink sticky notes represent examples we came up with. 


We have also been inquiring into how self-assessment and goal-setting can help us develop specific skills. 




Here, Keira is using a continuum to sort the components of research skills into the following categories:

  • Shared: Others do, I watch
  • Guided: I do, others help
  • Independent: I do, others watch
  • Leading: I do, others learn

This vital step of self-reflection helps each of us to determine which goals are appropriate to work towards. 


No comments:

Post a Comment